Sweat the Small Stuff and Keep FDNY Violations Away
By Brian Lafferty
Sometimes, FDNY Violations feel like parking tickets. Try as you might, they just happen. The good news is that it’s relatively straightforward to avoid the FDNY’s ‘low hanging fruit’ – the most obvious violations.
1. Keep all approved plans and documents on site. Make sure the site manager knows where everything is.
2. Keep all PA inspections current, and pay all FDNY fees for A/C and fuel storage units.
3. Keep sites clean, with egress areas free of debris.
4. File annual elevator safety inspections and boiler reports on time.
5. Permit all construction.
6. Obtain a Certificate of Fitness for any hazardous chemicals stored on site.